In partnership with the 42nd Avenue Business Association, and with Support from Venture Portland and the Portland Development Commission, Our 42nd Avenue recently launched a mini-storefront improvement grant program for district businesses. The purpose of the grants is to make small, permanent improvements to support business prosperity and help achieve community goals. Businesses were invited to apply for grants of either $1-1,000 with no required matching funds, or $1,000-2,000 with a required match.
In total, seven projects were selected:
- Dean’s Car Care, Alameda Metalworks & Steamboat Investors for landscaping, siding and trim repair, and new paint.
- The Wilshire Tavern for repair and refurbishment of its neon sign.
- Suds’n'Duds Laundry for a new sign and a small mural.
- MeRae’s on 42nd Beauty Salon for new paint and signage.
- Roses Ice Cream for an improved outdoor seating area.
- Bob’s Rocket Pizza for an outdoor seating deck.
- Wilshire Dental for window repair and new signage.
To support these improvements, the O42A Design Team has been working with business owners to help capture their visions for the future of their spaces. The Design Team will continue to work with district businesses in anticipation of the next grant cycle, which is planned for July of 2013.
Keep your eyes peeled for these small storefront improvements!